How to Install PHP on Different Operating Systems is the first question that comes to mind when we have to start development with PHP. PHP serves as the backbone of Laravel development, empowering developers to build robust and dynamic web applications. In this article, we will explore the significance of PHP in Laravel and provide step-by-step instructions on installing PHP on various operating systems. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced developer, understanding the installation process is crucial for starting your Laravel journey.
Importance of PHP in Laravel Development:
PHP, a widely-used scripting language, forms the foundation of Laravel, a powerful PHP framework. Here’s why PHP is vital for Laravel development:
- Object-Oriented Programming: PHP enables developers to write clean, modular, and reusable code using object-oriented programming (OOP) principles. Laravel, being a framework built with PHP, leverages these OOP concepts to provide a structured and maintainable codebase.
- Vast Ecosystem: PHP boasts a vast ecosystem of libraries, frameworks, and tools, including Laravel itself. This ecosystem provides a wealth of resources, community support, and pre-built components, accelerating development and reducing effort.
- Web Application Development: PHP specializes in web application development, making it a natural fit for Laravel, which excels in creating dynamic and feature-rich web applications. PHP’s extensive set of built-in functions, alongside Laravel’s expressive syntax, simplifies common web development tasks.
Now, let’s dive into the installation process for PHP on different operating systems:
How to install PHP on Windows:
Follow these step-by-step instructions to install PHP on a Windows operating system:
Step 1: Download PHP:
- Visit the official PHP website (php.net) and navigate to the Downloads page.
- Select the Windows installer for the latest stable PHP version compatible with your system architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
Step 2: Run the Installer:
- Run the downloaded PHP installer file.
- Follow the installation wizard, selecting appropriate options such as the installation directory and adding PHP to the system’s PATH.
Step 3: Verify the Installation:
- Open a command prompt and type php -v to verify that PHP is installed and accessible from the command line.
- You should see the PHP version and other details if the installation was successful.
How to install PHP on macOS:
To install PHP on macOS, follow these steps:
Step 1: Install Homebrew:
- Open Terminal.
- Enter the following command and press Enter:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
Step 2: Install PHP:
- In Terminal, enter the following command to install PHP:
brew install php
Step 3: Verify the Installation: Type php -v in the Terminal to verify that PHP is installed and display the PHP version and other details.
How to install PHP on Ubuntu Linux:
To install PHP on Linux (Ubuntu), follow these steps:
Step 1: Update System Packages:
- Open the Terminal.
- Run the following command to update system packages:
sudo apt update
Step 2: Install PHP and Related Packages:
- Enter the following command to install PHP and some commonly used extensions:
sudo apt install php libapache2-mod-php php-mysql
Step 3: Verify the Installation:
Type php -v in the Terminal to verify the PHP installation and display the PHP version and other details.
PHP serves as the foundation for Laravel development, offering a rich ecosystem, OOP capabilities, and specialization in web application development. By following the step-by-step instructions provided above, you can easily install PHP on various operating systems. With PHP successfully installed.